Music Vocal / Classical
The art of performing with the human voice rhythmic tones or sounds of the late 18th and 19th centuries characterized by an emphasis on balance, clarity, and moderation.
1. Only one (1) song is to be performed, and it must not exceed five (5) minutes. (Contestants not adhering to the maximum time requirement are subject to disqualification.)
2. Competitors should not perform to a CD. Contestants requesting piano accompaniment must submit sheet music and requests for accompaniment by the first Friday in May. Sheet music is required at the time of the request. Contestants can also bring an accompanist.
3. Contestants must submit six (6) copies of their sheet music.
4. The material must be memorized.
5. Costumes are not required.
Note: The deadline for submission of National registration documents is the first Friday in May. No materials or copies will be accepted at the National Competition.
Contestants Will Be Judged By The Following Criteria
Choice of Music (10 pts)
Diction (25 pts) Correctness of pronunciation
Interpretation (10 pts)
3. Historically appropriate style
Intonation (10 pts)
Stage presence (10 pts)
Technique (10 pts)
Tone quality (25 pts)
1. Beauty of sound