The art and process of making motion pictures.
1.Only one (1) film is to be entered in DVD format.
2. The running time of the film must not exceed five (5) minutes.
3. A playback unit will be provided.
4. Films should be submitted on a single DVD packaged in a standard 5 1/4 x 7 1/2 plastic DVD case. Do not put labels on the DVD.
5. DVD’s must be compatible with standard set-top DVD players.
Do not simply burn a QuickTime or AVI file to a disc as data. This may render your film unplayable. Make sure your disc plays in a standard DVD player before you submit your entry.
6. A storyboard or project theme must be associated with the film.
Please note: Storyboards are NOT stills taken from the film, rather they are original drawings, sketches, etc. completed PRIOR to the execution of the film.
Contestants will be judged by the following criteria:
• Creative (25 pts)
1. Storyboard (10 pts) - how effectively did the competitor execute the ideas presented on the storyboard in their piece?
2. Originality (15 pts)- Did the competitor try to challenge him/herself to do something different and interesting? Did he or she have a new and interesting way of retelling an old story/concept? Creativity of approach or concept.
• Production (35 pts)
1. Direction/Structure (25 pts) – the use of camera, choice of shots to help convey the story, framing, camera movement, clarity of story.
2. Use of light (10 pts) – Are actors and/or environment lit effectively?
• Sound (15 pts)
1. Use of audio effects /music (10 pts)
2. Audibility (5pts) – Is dialogue audible?
• Post Production (25 pts)
1. Editing (20 pts)– Approach in editing to tell the story more effectively.
2. Titles. (5 pts)